Re: [ESPResSo-users] Any output for tutorial5-1.tcl (streamline movie)??

From: Georg Rempfer
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Any output for tutorial5-1.tcl (streamline movie)??
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 12:23:10 +0200

Hello Pet,

I don't know what you mean by "I am sure of its parameters", but I
know that in an LB fluid of density 1 and temperature 1 fluctuates
like crazy. Also this is exactly the way it should be, as on the
nanoscale for a system at room temperature, the fluctuations are
orders of magnitude bigger than any drift velocity.

If you want nice videos like the ones I sent you, you will have to
switch the thermalization off completely. You can achieve this with
"thermostat off" instead of "thermostat lb 1.". However, if you run a
coupled MD LB simulation without fluctuations, you are essentially
simulating a system at 0 degrees kelvin. So depending on what you want
to do, this would be terribly wrong.

If you want to have a physically reasonable simulation _and_ smooth
streamlines, you will have to do what Ulf Schiller says, which is
average a lot of frames. The fluctuations will average out to 0, all
you will see is the drift. If you have a non zero drift velocity,
however, your particles move around and if you are interested in the
velocity field around some macro molecule, you would have to do the
averaging in a co-moving reference frame, which is only possible if
you have one molecule.

Regards,
Georg