[FR-devel] Introduction

From: Brian Denny
Subject: [FR-devel] Introduction
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 18:43:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hello folks,

I recently joined the developers' list, so thought i should introduce
myself.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.  I graduated from U.C. Berkeley 2
years ago, with a major in cognitive science.  Since that time I've been
writing software for an educational non-profit.  The majority of my
professional experience has been with Java.

I discovered Ruby about a month ago and immediately started looking for
opportunities to use it.  I'd also been thinking about trying to contribute
to an open source project, and so I thought maybe I could do both at once...
:)

FreeRIDE caught my eye partly due to my recently having found a Java IDE
which I actually really, really like (IDEA).

I am probably going to sign up to work on the Refactoring project, and
possibly the Editor project too.  Language-aware editing tools interest
me.  I don't have a durn bit of experience coding these sorts of tools per
se, but I loved my "programming languages and compilers" class in college,
which seems like the most relevant thing.

I've never contributed to an open source project before, and I have a mere
couple of years of professional experience, so...  Curt has assured me that
I'm allowed to ask stupid questions on the list, and I will.  (Well, actually
I think he said that there was no such thing as a stupid question, but i'm
not sure I believe him...) But maybe a separate e-mail would be best for that.

I look forward to the opportunity to work with y'all, and to contribute
what I can to the project.

Brian