[freesci-develop] this is what I propose...

From: kevin
Subject: [freesci-develop] this is what I propose...
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 16:37:14 -0800 (PST)

Hi Christopher, I'm not really an IRC chat type  guy, plus I doubt that anybody
is listening heavily on irc under the  subject for SCI stuff at this late date.

  But here is what I can do for this project, I am a old-timer 2d/3d game
programmer and I only need the resources to reconstruct a game, don't  really
need to worry about pixel scaling problems, or sound issues, or  game save
problems. As I am planning on resurecting some existing code  that will do
everything the sierra engine did and more. The only real  challenge will be
interpretting the script language. I am thinking that  it will be a matter of
post-processing it into Lua. And re-creating  code for all the hooks of the
original script into whatever the  resources formating needs are.

  Absolutely the first step in porting any game over, is to make sure  before
beginning, that all the resources are separated and the format  understood.
Forget about writing game emulation code until all the  resources are extracted
and their format understood.

  I do have time to hook up a very powerful 2D game engine that can be  used to
play sierra games and even allow you to Mod the games. And even  play them at
higher resolutions than even the resources were designed  for.

  But I am hoping that somebody has already extracted (or can just re-run  the
extraction tools) and can provide all the resources separately.  Because I dont
have the time to hack and poke at the resource files to  figure out how they
are put together. Does anybody on this list have a  harddisk full of the
separated resources? namely kq5 which I am most  familiar?

  If somebody could do that, then I could quickly reconstruct the game. The
minimum I would need is...

  Background images
  Sprite images
  sound files (midi, and wav)
  hotspot files (tells the script what to do when areas are clicked)
  path following files (tells script where avatars can and cannot go)
  Script files
  misc files

  Or better yet, the resource file is so well understood, that the  original
resource file could be left as is, and the engine could pull  these on-demand
(just like the original game).

  If kq5 works then I suppose the newer space quest games would work just as
well.
  You can send private email to KevinsEmailPlace (at) yahoo.com

  Thanks,