Re: [freesci-develop] FreeSCI release plan

From: Christoph Reichenbach
Subject: Re: [freesci-develop] FreeSCI release plan
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 01:55:43 -0700

Hugues,

  First of all, thank you very much for your substantial testing!

On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 01:12:34AM -0800, Hugues Valois wrote:
> 1. Most of the entries in bugzilla are old.  Is it worth trying to
> reproduce some of the bugs in there?

  Some of them are, unfortunately, known to have been resolved, but we don't
remember anymore which those were. Thus, trying to reproduce them would be
much appreciated.

> 2. Is the game detection by hash code still used?  The console outputs a
> message with the hash code when it is not detected.  Looks like the new
> detection technique looks for the version in the sierra interpreter
> executable.  Should I report the missing hash codes?

  Please do. We don't really want to need the executable (so to speak).

> Sierra Christmas Card v1.04
>
> Could not determine interpreter version; hash code 04B0B081
> 1st scene with gift plays music and works fine
> 2nd scene with fireplace appears for 1-2 seconds and then goes to 3rd scene
> (that's a bug)
> 3rd scene with angel does not have music and never ends (additional angels
> never appear, which is also a bug)

Both sound like song cue bugs. Submitted as #2788, #2789.

[...]

> Hoyle 1 v1.000.104
> Did not notice any problems (played a few games). It's true that memory
> usage goes up a little bit during a game (by about 2 megs), but it comes
> down when selecting a new game.  Never tested with previous versions of
> FreeSCI, so I'm not sure if it has improved or not.  It is certainly very
> playable on my machine.

  OK. Memory usage going up is an artifact of the gfx subsystem as it is
implemented ATM (we use widgets rather than pixmap buffers, to ease debugging
and to allow more versatile uses of savegames).

[...]

> Iceman v1.023
>
> Interpreter version: 0.000.668 (by executable scan)

668? Those guys sure had an odd sense of humour.

> Could not identify game by hash code: D0B8794E
> FreeSCI crashes when playing volleyball, when ball goes into water, after
> dismissing the "Oops there goes the ball" message.  I was able to reproduce
> 4 out of 6 times.
> Here's the console output:
> Send: No object at 0000!
[...]

  It's back, with a vengeance! I could've sworn that I fixed this one once
before...

> King's Quest IV v1.006.004: Int #0.000.502
>
> Played only a little bit.  Noticed several instances of a priority problem
> where objects appear in front of Rosella when they shouldn't (bushes,
> rocks, etc.).  This seems to be the same problem as the existing bug 402.

  Wheeh. OB1 bug-- 502 is precisely the cutoff point for switching between old
and new priority palette behaviour.  I'll commit an updated version (note: we
don't get svn commit messages ATM) shortly (should be before you get this
mail), could you re-test that again, please?

> Can't reproduce bug 2778 (waterfall screen crash).

I believe that this one's caused by a broken game, though our error recovery
will need improvement.

> The Colonel's Bequest v1.000.046
>
> Interpreter version: 0.000.631 (by executable scan)
> UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY: Hash code 94EA377B indicates game version
> 0.000.685,
>  but analysis of the executable yields 0.000.631 (for game '(null)').
> My 5.25 floppy disk labels indicates int #0.000.631

  Looks like they re-released the same resource files for a different
interpreter (IIRC, differences between 631 and 685 weren't too big, though
Lars will know better about that).  Proper resolution is to not issue a
warning message here.  Henceforth this problem shall be known as Bug #2791 of
CB1.

> Played through act 2, did not notice any problems.
> Can't reproduce bug 346.

  Good.  I finally closed it.

> Bug 2785 could be closed, as the game selection screen no longer appears
> when no games are found in the config file.

  Done.

> readme.win32 lists 3 sound servers for win32 (win32 polled, win32 event,
> sdl threaded).  Looks like the win32 event sound server is no longer an
> option.  It's commented out in the source, and when I tried to compile it
> in and use it, it was horribly slow and I couldn't hear any sound.  If it
> stays disabled for the release, the documentation should be updated.

  I won't touch this one.

> I couldn't get the DirectX driver to work properly.

  Same with that one.

  1/3 done, onto the next!

(Where was the phrase "Onto the next!" from, again? Was that Lemmings?)

-- Christoph