[freesci-develop] Proposal for new direction of the project

From: Jordi Vilalta
Subject: [freesci-develop] Proposal for new direction of the project
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 22:53:47 +0000

Hi,

We're a small group of computer science students from Barcelona
(Spain) and lately we've been thinking about collaborating with an
open source adventure game engine.

Our main idea was to try to add SCI support into ScummVM. The obvious
easy way would be to integrate the FreeSCI code into ScummVM. We would
like to know what do you think about it, because we don't want to fork
from FreeSCI, but to join efforts into a larger project. We want to
establish collaboration between both projects and to do it with your
acceptance.

In our opinion, this merge would benefit both projects: ScummVM would
get support for some new games (like it did with the relatively recent
integration of Sarien), and FreeSCI would win a lot of new testers and
probably some new hands on your code. By the way, the new SCI engine
would also immediately benefit from the nice features from ScummVM,
such as great portability, graphic scalers, etc.

This code move could also benefit of adding new features. For example,
we've done a small look at the SCI Studio code and it seems like there
are some parts that support newer SCI versions than FreeSCI does. We
think it could be a great opportunity to integrate such code into
FreeSCI (or directly into the new ScummVM SCI engine).

Of course we don't want to tell you how to rule your own project, but
we think it could be a good step, and we would help with the process.

If you agree with this proposal, then we could talk about what
codebase to take (glutton I guess), what things should be enhanced,
etc., to make FreeSCI go further with this process.

Regards,

Karim, Jordi & Jordi