[freesci-develop] Introduction and Question About ScummVM Integration

From: Sami Zerrade
Subject: [freesci-develop] Introduction and Question About ScummVM Integration
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 19:11:21 -0700

Hi,
This is likely as good a time for an introduction to the list as any, so: my
name's Sami Zerrade, and I'm working with Jordi Vilalta on getting FreeSCI
to work as a ScummVM engine as a Google Summer of Code Project.  I'm
documenting my progress at :
http://scummsci.blogspot.com/

Generally, this means replacing any platform-specific calls with invocations
of ScummVM's OSystem methods.  In some cases (video and audio drivers, for
example), the existing abstraction allows this to be done cleanly.  It's
presently not as clear how to proceed with file IO handling, as the existing
code sort of assumes FILE* usage.

Current suggestions include implementing a new structure to encapsulate
FILE* pointers and ScummVM, or using two separate files that are decided
between at compile time.  You can find more discussion in the IRC logs at :
http://www-plan.cs.colorado.edu/creichen/freesci-logs/2008.05/log20080531.html
starting at time 18:11:30.
Since either option represents a somewhat substantial change, I'd really
appreciate opinions on how best to proceed from here.
Thanks,
-Sami