Re: [Devel] On GRAYS_USE_GAMMA

From: Matthijs Melchior
Subject: Re: [Devel] On GRAYS_USE_GAMMA
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 23:34:48 +0200

Billy Biggs wrote:

Matthijs Melchior (address@hidden):

Well, I have read much more about gamma on the net, and I have
reverted to not have X correct the gamma of my monitor any more.  Text
looks very good now, and most picures are OK.

 So you're using xgamma -gamma 1.0 ?

Yes.

I had to increase the brightness of my monitor quite a bit, from 10 to
60 and decrease the contrast from 60 to 50 (both on a scale 0..100,
whatever these numbers may mean...).  Black is not really black any
more, it is just dark gray now.  I have not found a procedure to
calibrate the settings of the monitor in a context where there is no
gamma correction applied.  Any suggestions for that...? [I now just
look at it and see if it pleases me....]

 I recommend Poynton:

 http://www.poynton.com/notes/brightness_and_contrast/index.html

Yes...., this is what I had done before and gives good results when you
have the driver correct the display gamma.  If I do not apply the
gamma correction, than everything is much too dark.  This can be
corrected somewhat by using different settings for brightness and
contrast on my monitor!  And that does not maintain black level....!

 And no, you should not use GRAYS_USE_GAMMA, it is not a correct
solution.

Yes, I am now convinced that anti-aliassing must be done in a lineair world.

Matthijs Melchior                                       Maarssen  /\\
address@hidden                                  Netherlands _\_v