Re: fuzzing SDFs

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: fuzzing SDFs
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2021 17:15:21 +0000 (UTC)

>> Looks good!  Please submit a Pull Request that Armin (and others)
>> can review.
>
> Done!

Thanks.

> The fuzzer already found a bug in the renderer, I have attached a
> patch (diff.txt) to fix this
> (https://github.com/freetype/freetype2-testing/runs/3213214141).  If
> you require a merge request instead, then I'll make it tomorrow.

I'm fine with a MR.  Otherwise please make a local commit (with a
proper GNU-style commit message), then say

  git format-patch HEAD^

and send me the resulting file.

>> - Alternatively SDF could get it's very own fuzzer.  We've already
>>   done this to separate rendering from utility access; we _could_
>>   look into further separating fuzzing rendering from fuzzing SDF
>>   rendering.  Although, that would be quite a lot of work.
>
> Seeing how slow the `sdf` renderer is I think the second option
> would be better.

I agree.

> Dominik recently added the COLRv1 fuzzer, if the process is similar,
> then I can work on adding a new fuzzer for SDF.

Proper support for SDF is probably a bit more complicated since it
also has to cover rendering (which the COLR stuff doesn't do IIRC).