Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Bug: tt_check_single_notdef function skip spaces

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Bug: tt_check_single_notdef function skip spaces
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 11:04:57 +0000 (UTC)

> I expressed myself wrong. I know about bitmaps, but in this file our
> software only needs to render (or get width - depend of scenario) a
> space.

OK, you have convinced me.

> Original producer: /Producer (Microsoft: Print To PDF)

Hmm.  Too bad that Microsoft's PDF driver doesn't strip off tables for
embedded bitmaps.  Maybe it makes even sense to write a bug report to
MS: There shouldn't be any bitmap strikes in fonts part of a PDF.

> If you are not going to fix this, please give me some advice on how
> to modify the tt_check_single_notdef function to recognize empty
> glyphs?

If you can provide a Merge Request (on gitlab.freedesktop.org) I'm
willing to add the functionality you need.

* Add a property `sbits-always-scalable` similar to
  `interpreter-version` (file `ttdriver.h`, and structure
  `TT_DriverRec` in file `ttobjs.h`.  You can test for this in
  `tt_face_init`, overriding the decision of `tt_check_single_notdef`.
  This sets a global property.

* Maybe it makes also sense to have a new parameter tag, say,
  `FT_PARAM_TAG_SBITS_ALWAYS_SCALABLE` (see file `ftparams.h`) to have
  a per-face setting.