Need help compiling freetype with debug output enabled

From: Craig White
Subject: Need help compiling freetype with debug output enabled
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 22:12:14 -0400

I am trying to look at the trace output using the FT_Trace_Set_Level function.  I read that FT_DEBUG_LOGGING macro must be set for this to work, so I tried doing this by passing:
-Dc_args='-D FT_DEBUG_LOGGING'
to meson setup.
After this, it complained about not finding dlg headers, so I stuffed more things into c_args to try to fix it, but I got stuck on linker errors.  I have a feeling I'm on the wrong track here.  What is the correct way to enable trace output?