Re: Progress update on adjustment database

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Progress update on adjustment database
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 04:03:28 +0000 (UTC)

> Right now, I don't understand the needs well enough to know what to
> generalize or to test whether the general solution works well
> enough.  I'd rather start with specific use cases rather than a
> general solution with unclear goals.

Well, there are no 'unclear goals': the general solution is *exactly*
what I was talking about all the time, and what you need for any entry
in the adjustment database: A mapping from input Unicode characters to
glyph indices based on the GSUB + cmap tables and not on cmap alone.

>> Right now, I favor the latter: It should be a last-minute action,
>> similar to TrueType's `DELTAP[123]` bytecode instructions.
>
> I disagree with doing the adjustment after grid fitting because in
> this case, grid fitting is a destructive action.  Doing it after
> would require taking a flat line and adding the wiggle back in,

Yes, but you have all the available data because you can access the
original glyph shape.  In other words, you can exactly control which
points to move.

> possibly in a way that doesn't match the font.

At the resolutions we are talking about this absolutely doesn't
matter, I think.  Essentially you have to make

  xxxx

appear as

   x x
  x x

> It sounds easier to prevent that from happening in the first place.

OK, give it a try.  Rounding information is available also, so this
might work as well.