Re: ftbench: last updates

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: ftbench: last updates
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 19:20:34 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Ahmet. I'll leave Werner to say something definitive, but in my opinion, given the project will be put aside and/or merge with some incomplete area soon, for some possibly long period before you or somebody else revisit the tasks/goals, it is particularly important to document things clearly. Not just in terms of formal documentations in the various readme's, but also adding "TODO", "Known limitations" in the code. Like "notes and reminders to future self" if you need to come back to it and continue after 5 years :-).

As for meson and cmake - if you do add/change something at this stage, be sure to write a bit more about what state it is in, in the commit message. It will be quite annoying for somebody else, or you yourself for that matter, to look at some large chunk of code in a year or two, and think: "what state this was in, did this work at all? Has this gotten broken recently,  or never did work?". I think one example might be qt6 support for ftinspect - there are some work/code going towards it, but it would be nice to see a comment where it matters - around where one might switch from qt5 to qt6 - that it doesn't quite work yet. There are always going to be incomplete/work-in-progress areas, so the general direction would be write down things clearly so you or someone else can revisit later and continue with as much help and information as you can give now.