Re: Hinting regression in Ubuntu 23.04

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Hinting regression in Ubuntu 23.04
Date: Thu, 04 May 2023 16:28:47 +0000 (UTC)

> [...] I also think nothing beats a well hinted font @9 points on a
> full-HD laptop screen which are still plenty around?

For my old eyes, this is too crisp, too much contrast.  I much prefer
anti-aliased subpixel hinting.  It's also more 'natural', that is, you
need less distortion from the real glyph shapes and advance widths.

Below 12ppem, essentially *all* fonts, whether they are serif or
sans-serif, look exactly the same – there are simply not enough
possibilities to position the pixels differently and still maintain
legibility.  You might simply use a single bitmap font instead.