Re: Font rendering question - Apple Color Emoji.ttc

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Font rendering question - Apple Color Emoji.ttc
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2024 16:23:42 +0000 (UTC)

Hello Andrew,

sorry for the late reply.

> Over at Python Pillow, a user has tried to render an emoji with
> macOS’ Apple Color Emoji.ttc -

I don't have this font.  I only have the ancient `Apple Color
Emoji.ttf` version 8.0d7e1 from 2012...  Without having that font I
can only do an educated guess.

> https://github.com/python-pillow/Pillow/issues/7854#issuecomment-2128088090

Looking at this report it seems that somehow the image should be
mirrored horizontally – I guess this is the problem with FreeType.

Please remember that color emoji rendering support within FreeType is
*very* limited and only partially implemented – it is *not* intended
as a general solution but rather as a last resort for people who won't
do the color bitmap blitting by themselves.

Rendering support of Emojis is a border case, since FreeType is
decidedly *not* a graphics library.

> [some C code omitted]

You can get much more information if you do a debug build of FreeType,
then setting the environment variable

  FT2_DEBUG=any:7

and redirect the stderr output of your demo program to a file.

> I’ve attached images that, as far as I can see, show that both
> indexes are present in the font.

You haven't attached images, AFAICS.