fsf-community-team

Re: [fsf-community-team] Free software in schools

From: Simon Bridge
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] Free software in schools
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 19:38:22 +1300

On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 23:11 +0800, Peter Rock wrote:

> > See http://hbclinux.net.nz/fss-litrev.pdf
> > ... this is a literature review about free software in the education
> > sector - first attempt. I have to clean it up and do an update, but it
> > should give you an idea.
>
> Thanks Simon, I'll read this over and try to absorb the best parts.
> BTW, I think you mean the "GNU/Linux operating system", rather than
> the "Linux operating system". :)

Did I write that or was I quoting? I knew it needed a rewrite.

> > There are movements in education concerning wider literacy, digital
> > divide, and information literacy.
> >
> > There have been a lot of documents like yours about how free software
> > supports schools, but not much research. Have you physically visited a
> > school that uses free software?
>
> I am a teacher in a K-12 school and teach all of my classes using
> GNU/Linux. I have not however, visited a school that uses GNU/Linux as
> its primary platform. Even the school I'm at is still primarily
> Windows-based, though the extent to which GNU/Linux is being used is
> growing. We now have a support contract with Canonical for our Ubuntu
> systems. Ideally, we would use only 100% free systems but I have not
> been able to approach that level yet.

Then - much more useful would be to write about what your school does
and why - how do the students respond - stuff like that. How does the
use of gnu/linux and free software ideals support student learning for
the real world?

Support your statements with concrete examples - that way it doesn't
sound so much like a theoretical treatment. Talk to your colleagues
about why they still use proprietary software - listen to them.