Re: [Fsfe-uk] The threat of a good example continued

From: Tristan Roddis
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] The threat of a good example continued
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 15:07:11 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Marc Eberhard wrote:

> http://www.bundestux.de/english.html
>
> Funnyly, they write on that website
>
> ..."Great Britain plans the mandatory introduction of open source software in
> the public sector."...
>
> Did I miss something? Anyone wants to contact them for details?

I would guess they're referring to the draft RFC document 'Open Source
Software use within UK Government':

http://www.govtalk.gov.uk/rfc/rfc_document.asp?docnum=429

Reading it shows that it falls a long way short of 'mandatory
introduction', but at least it's on somebody's radar. The releated QinetiQ
document goes into a lot more detail and seems to do a pretty good job at
introducing the concept of free software and how it could be used:

http://www.govtalk.gov.uk/documents/QinetiQ_OSS_rep.pdf

-T.

--
address@hidden                            http://www.roddis.org