Re: [Fsfe-uk] New committee proposal

From: Andrew Savory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] New committee proposal
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:35:12 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Alex Hudson wrote:

> So, the process was essentially one of co-option, not election. Now,
> because that decision would be without real reference to members - in
> either direction, asking people on or not - it was made cautiously, and as
> I'm sure Andrew would agree, he was somewhat 'controversial'. Committee
> felt it couldn't co-opt him.

Two things to note about this: reference was made to members, but only for
negative opinions (ie provision for people to express reservations, but no
provision for support).

As for controversial: to get things out in the open, I said that I
personally believe that a "right tool for the job" and a pragmatic
approach to software is required because sometimes Free Software is simply
not the right solution for people. To expand on that: I wholeheartedly
believe that all software should be Free, but that sometimes there is not
a viable Free alternative for people meaning they are stuck with
proprietary.

I also said that I'd prefer to use Pine (free beer, not free FSF due to
some license issues) for AFFS business unless specifically required not
to.

> I would appreciate it if we could hold discussions on the hows and whys of
> fixing until the others get back - of course, that's up to you guys, but I
> think the discussion would benefit from the summary of the process that
> Brian is preparing.

Sure. I look forward to Brian's comments.

Andrew.

--
Andrew Savory                                Email: address@hidden
Orixo alliance: http://www.orixo.com/          Web:    www.luminas.co.uk