[Fsfe-uk] Judgment in the patent dispute of the "Bromcom" case

From: Ralph Janke
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Judgment in the patent dispute of the "Bromcom" case
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 18:47:47 +0100

Judge David Young QC has ruled in the "Bromcom" case, Secretary of State for Education and Skills v Frontline Technology Ltd [2004] All ER (D) 170 (Jun).

According to the judgment two claims were deemed invalid on reasons of prior art were lacking any inventive step. However the third claim was upheld.

Interestingly both, Forntline Technology Ltd (http://www.frontline-technology.com/) and the DFES (http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/management/tools/ims/patent/) seem to claim victory regarding this judgment.

I am currently myself trying to analyse the concequences of the judgment. In a first view it seems to me that the general usage of software principles seem to have been freed from the patent on grounds of prior art and lack of any inventive step. The claim that was upheld is centered on the principle of the wireless transfer protocol used.

As I understand it currently, this could mean that any derivation of the very detailed configuration of wireless links will therefore not fall under the patent anymore (i.e. just the lack of using a RS-485 interface to the data-server, the way of scheduling multiple radio-links etc.).

One of the interesting points in the judgment seems to be the way the judge decided prior art. The third claim was not ruled invlaid because the judge believes a "IT educationalist" would have not automatically come to the same conclusion in building a wireless network at the time of the patent filing. I am a little astonished by the fact that the judge defined the group of people who should have been able to use obvious steps was kept very small as people working at a school, but he seemed to have excluded RF and IT experts in the field of networking. I have to do some more research in the prior cases the judge cited around this issue.

Anyhow, just wanted to give a short summary...

Ralph Janke