Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only

From: Jon Grant
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 15:09:28 +0100

Hi,
(snip)
> > Here, Here. In fact one of the things I think we should be doing is
> > lobbying BBC, ITV & C4 about "Kangaroo", so they can jump in while
> > they have the chance and design it using Free Software.
>
> I asked the FSFE about why they didn't do much (if anything) about
> iPlayer originally, apparently they have limited funds and this is not
> a priority.

It is even worse if we consider the FSF's Gnash (GPLFlash) shoring up
the propreitary Adobe Flash format. I asked FSF about this, and they
basically said it was too established a "de facto" standard to
ignore/boycott now. I personally dont agree, and would have rather
seen FSF invest in theora-vorbis support in Firefox or HTML5 standard
etc.

Jon
--
linkme: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jongrant