Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund

From: Jon Grant
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:45:16 +0000

Hi,

On 21/01/2008, Andrew Savory <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 1/18/08, Noah Slater <address@hidden > wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 02:26:05PM +0100, Andrew Savory wrote:
> > >    I think it's in Freakonomics where the idea of "common wisdom" is
> > >    demolished. And I think it's on the Apple and Dell websites where the
> > >    performance/cost issue is refuted ;-)
> >
> > Can you provide specific specs vs. prices instead of hand-waving?
> >

> http://www.macworld.com/article/49403/2006/02/pricecomparison2.html
> "making the MacBook Pro even less less expensive, at least at "before
> coupon" prices, than the Dell laptop—$482 cheaper overall, to be exact."

Funny that this comparison comes out different from my Dell Laptop Vs
Apple MacBook based on latest figures:

http://digg.com/apple/Apple_overcharges_Europeans_by_20_on_MacBook

> http://www.mikemchargue.com/2006/01/price-deathmatch-apple-macbook-pro-vs.html
> "I can't help but feel like the famed "Mac price premium" is a myth here.
> Dell currently offers cheaper Intel based computers than Apple, but
> feature-for-feature Apple's pricing is fair."

The Apple MacBook costs £33 more (5%) in the US than the Dell Laptop,
and costs £250 more (30%) in the UK! Rip-off-UK-Apple:

http://jguk.org/2008/01/apple-macbook-vs-dell-laptop-price.html

I'm glad we don't have the silly US rebate on purchase system in Europe yet.

Cheers, Jon
--
linkme: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jongrant
web: http://jguk.org/