Re: GIMP CMYK support - was [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: GIMP CMYK support - was [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:57:46 +0100

On 22/01/2008, Jon Grant <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 22/01/2008, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Quoting Dave Crossland <address@hidden>:
> >
> > > A sustained campaign on this topic would be very worthwhile, because
> > > getting propagandists to use free software will pay dividends.
> >
> > Yes this would be a very good idea.
>
> Will anyone from FSF, FSFE, Gnome or other lead it though?

The FSF appears to be more and more about campaigning to raise the
profile of software freedom in the general public, and less and less
about running the GNU project, so I can imagine them doing it - more
the FSFE which seems aimed at EU politicians and EMCA meetings and
such, and the Gnome community seems shy of its software freedom roots.

> I don't see why a decent graphics
> application shouldn't be as popular as Firefox.

Inkscape is becoming that way, as is Scribus. The cross platform
nature of QT4 being GPLv3 throughout is very exciting, because when
Scribus and KOffice run natively on Windows and Mac OS X as well as
they do on GNU+Linux+KDE, and are all GPLv3, then the "firefox
phenomenon" is likely to spread :-)

> In the absence of a
> decent Free software package loads of people are using Google's now, a
> big missed opportunity.

What Google graphics tool?

--
Regards,