gcl-devel

Re: [Maxima-discuss] Careful arithmetic ... was Re: +-Inf and NaN

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Maxima-discuss] Careful arithmetic ... was Re: +-Inf and NaN
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 10:47:49 -0500

Greetings!

Raymond Toy <toy.raymond@gmail.com> writes:

> Is this the current development version of gcl?

Yes.

> What's the difference between continuing and aborting here?  Does this
> mean that if I had done (* 10 (expt 2d0 100000)) and selected the
> continue restart, I would have gotten #<inf>?

Yes. And the trap disabled until you reenable it thereafter.

> If I had selected option 2, would the traps be preserved?

Yes.

In the 2.6 series, you first have to (setq si::*print-nans* t) (which is
being eliminated), and you do not have the continue restart as an option.

Take care,
--
Camm Maguire                                        camm@maguirefamily.org