gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] CentOS 7 RPM - getting closer

From: Uwe Scholz
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] CentOS 7 RPM - getting closer
Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 22:11:16 +0200

Am Mon, 13 May 2019 18:09:54 +0000 schrieb kht-lists:

> Hello Uwe,
>
> My home made c-g 10.1 package WILL install and run on a CentOS 7
> installation with the gnome3 desktop. It pulls a few packages from
> CentOS base and meld from the epel repo.  Of course I had to manually
> add the gnome-icon-theme-legacy package (perhaps that can be included
> some day?) Once installed it ran fine.
>
> I then tried installing it on a CentOS 7 installation with the Mate
> desktop (added to the minimal install, not on top of a gnome3
> install.)
>
> First I erased g-c 1.8.1 (from nux-dextop) and did a yum install of
> my 10.1 package.
>
> Again I received the error:
>
> address@hidden Desktop]$ gnome-commander
> (gnome-commander:62287): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 13:25:03.715: Settings
> schema 'org.gnome.gnome-commander.preferences.general' does not
> contain a key named 'search-win-is-transient' Trace/breakpoint trap
> (core dumped)

The reason for this is that in 1.10.1 the new gsettings key
"search-win-is-transient" was implemented. If I remember correctly, for
such cases you had to execute a command which installs the new gschema
file in your dconf database. Search in your scripts for generating the
old CentOS gcmd packages. IIRC you had this command executed once, but
for the moment I do not recall what it was.

> I then erased my package and installed 1.8.1 again.  When I first
> executed g-c I observed:
>
> address@hidden Desktop]$ gnome-commander
> Creating directory /home/ken/.gnome-commander…
> ** (gnome-commander:62349): WARNING **: 13:32:33.258: Failed to open
> file “/home/ken/.gnome-commander/gnome-commander.xml”: No such file
> or directory Creating directory /home/ken/.gnome-commander/plugins…

Uooo. You ran into the situation which will happen when you downgrade
from 1.10.x to 1.8.x ... It is described in the list of new features
for 1.10.0 that when you first start the new version, all the config
files from ~/.gnome-commander are moved into ~/.config/gnome-commander.
Now that you downgraded again, gcmd 1.8 can not find the config files
so it gives you the error above. So, what you experience here is is
normal behavior. :-)

> From this I suspect that the way gnome3 and Mate handle preferences
> is different. I think I need to figure out where the g-c preferences
> are saved both in gnome3 and Mate and how to create the missing key.
> Perhaps I can find something on the gnome3 install and simply copy it
> to the Mate install.

No, this is totally related to where Gnome Commander stores its
options. Mate or Gnome3 has nothing to do with it.

> I will keep you and the list updated.
>
> Ken Taylor

Best
Uwe