gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] Home made .deb of 1.10.3 on Ubuntu 20.04

From: kht-lists
Subject: [gcmd-dev] Home made .deb of 1.10.3 on Ubuntu 20.04
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2021 19:06:59 +0000

It gets better and better...

I pulled my detailed notes from the Ubuntu 18.04 build and create .deb package
process. On my Ubuntu Mate 20.04 VM with the building packages in stalled, g-c
built and running, I performed the following:

1 - install checkinstall
2 - from the directory where I built g-c I ran sudo checkinstall. After
entering some informational data it produced a nice, shiny gnome-commander.deb
package.

Next I copied the .deb to a clean install of Ubuntu Mate 20.04. No development
packages installed. gdebi gnome-commander.deb performed the installation with
no complaints. Of course gnome-commander would not run. This was expected as my
noted indicated that libgnomeui-0 needed to be installed manually on the target
machine. However, the desired package is not available in the 20.04 repos. I
added the 18.04 repos to /etc/apt/sources.list. Now when I tried to install
libgnomeui-0...

libgnomeui-0 required some second package which required some third package and
the third package required libgnomeui-0. That was going nowhere.

Next I installed the gnome-commander.deb on a 20.04 VM with the development
tools installed. gnome-commander launched successfully.

I started over with a base VM and began installing the development packages one
by one hoping to find what installed libgnomeui-0. libgtk2.0-dev suggested I
install a fortran95 compiler. Perhaps I should. I learned to program with
Fortran IV/70 :-) Bottom line none of the development packages installed
libgnomeui-0.

Back to a clean VM. Installed the gnome-commander.deb. What is the actual error?

ken@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ gnome-commander
gnome-commander: error while loading shared libraries: libgnomevfs-2.so.0:

I installed libgnomevfs2-dev and gnome-commander ran but with some errors which
I will cover later. So where oh where is the missing library and where did it
come from???

ken@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ sudo find / -name libgnomevfs-2.so.0
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnomevfs-2.so.0

ken@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ dpkg -S /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnomevfs-2.so.0
libgnomevfs2-0:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnomevfs-2.so.0

Back to a clean VM

I added the 18.04 repos to /etc/apt/sources.list then

ken@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ sudo apt-get install libgnomevfs2-0
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
gconf-service gconf-service-backend gconf2 gconf2-common libgconf-2-4
libgnomevfs2-common
Suggested packages:
gconf-defaults-service libgnomevfs2-bin libgnomevfs2-extra gamin | fam
gnome-mime-data

install the gnome-commander.deb package and run gnome-commander

Success (almost). I did receive these errors although g-c launches. I have not
played with the program to see if I can find out what if anything broken.

ken@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ gnome-commander
Creating directory /home/ken/.config/gnome-commander…
(gnome-commander:3504): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: 06:14:25.755: Failed to
activate daemon: The name org.gnome.GnomeVFS.Daemon was not provided by any
.service files

** (gnome-commander:3504): CRITICAL **: 06:14:25.755: GnomeCmdConRemote*
gnome_cmd_con_remote_new(const gchar*, const string&,
GnomeCmdCon::Authentication): assertion 'uri != nullptr' failed
Creating directory /home/ken/.config/gnome-commander/plugins…
** (gnome-commander:3504): CRITICAL **: 06:14:30.039: const gchar*
gnome_cmd_con_get_uri(GnomeCmdCon*): assertion 'GNOME_CMD_IS_CON (con)' failed

These same errors occur on the 20.04 machine on which I initially built gnome
commander.

AND FINALLY I might add the same errors show up when I launch gnome-commander
1.10.3 on the Ubuntu 18.04 VM on which I built it.

I do not know the significance of these errors. Have they been around for a
while? I need to build gnome-commander 1.10.2 and see if they were present
there. I am running 1.10.2 on my CentOS workstation and do not see these errors.

I cannot build 1.10.2 on the 20.04 VM on which I built 1.10.3. Time to take a
break for now.

Ken

I don't have a Swiss bank account but I do have a Swiss email address :-)