Re: [Gnash-dev] how to handle hash_map

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] how to handle hash_map
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 09:25:17 -0700

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think winegcc/wineg++ generate Linux binaries from windows source code using the Wine
libraries to handle the win32 API calls.

  Ah, that could be.

I tried the cross compile path for my project, with the test suit
being run using Wine. Unfortunately this never quite worked right
and i didn't have the time or patience to pursue it.

Setting up a project to be cross configurable and cross compilable is complex. Luckily I did huge amounts of this when I worked at Cygnus, so I added initial MingW cross compiling support the other day. I had to build up a MingW environment with everything Gnash needed, like SDL, XML2, libpng, libjpeg, pthreads, libz, etc... It seems like MingW is the way to go, and hopefully can also support being used for a Firefox plugin on win32.

I added configure tests for all the differences I could find, and added the few things like gettimeofday() that Gnash needed. So now you can cross configure Gnash by setting --build, --host, and --target appropriately. I'll add something to the manual on this when I get a chance.

 I used this to configure successfully:

/home/rob/projects/gnu/gnash/configure --prefix=/usr/mingw --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --host=i586-mingw32msvc --target=i586-mingw32msvc --disable-plugin --with-pthread-incl=/usr/mingw/include --with-pthread-lib=/usr/mingw/lib --with-sdl-incl=/usr/mingw/include --with-sdl-lib=/usr/mingw/lib --with-sdl-mixer-incl=/usr/mingw/include --with-sdl-mixer-lib=/usr/mingw/lib

Currently executables aren't produced fully linked. I'll fix that on my next pass through this stuff. (unless somebody else gets the urge...) I think the hard part is done. I don't think it'll take much more work to beat it into shape, and it sure was easier than trying to use VC++.