[Gnash-dev] plugin works!

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: [Gnash-dev] plugin works!
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:52:55 -0700

I just got the first version of the plugin working! In experimenting, I noticed that if I fork'd the standalone player from Firefox like MozPLugger does, the rendered movie would show just fine. The only problem was there was no support for events. I just rewrote the standalone player to use GTK2+ with GtkGlExt. This handles events and menus, so now Gnash has a right-click mouse menu. (an ifdef swaps between SDL or GTK support) The menu doesn't do anything yet, but "Quit" works.

For some reason gtk_plug() wasn't working the way I thought it should, but if I create a new top level window, the movie renders just fine. The only problem with this approach is that as you web surf, all Flash movie ads become popups... :-(

Another issue is everything is being mirrored as if point 0,0 went from the upper left corner to the lower right corner. I imagine that's probably got to do with how I setup the window. I'm still cramming GTK programming...

Something I discovered that unfortunately would be a big project is that since GTK is very event based, I have to grab the events, blow off gtk_main() processing, and then poll the gtk event loop directly. This is a bit sluggish. Ideally Gnash should be changed to be purely event driven (something I've wanted to do for a long time), but this would require a major change to how the code is structured I think.

I'll cleanup my code so it's in a form suitable to check in. It's pretty ugly right now from lots of trail and error experimenting. The other downside is this requires GtkGlExt, which forces a bunch of new dependencies like pango, glib, atk, and cairo.