Re: [Gnash-dev] [patch] Fix more compile warnings

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] [patch] Fix more compile warnings
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:01:30 -0700

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
Here are a few more patches for gnash to get rid of compiler warnings
and fix bugs in the code.  First, a few leftover -Wall in Makefile.am:

I applied all these patches, and just checked it in. Thanks so much for the patches to clean up the build.

Btw, if you are not comfortable with adding -W by default because of
the noise created, what about adding -W and disabling the warnings
about unused variables and parameters?  In other words, what about
using "-W -Wall -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-parameter" by default
instead of only -Wall?

I'll have to play with them a bit and see. To be honest, what I'd really like to do is find a day somehow to just got fix many of these extra warnings so we can just use them all the time as the default. Somebody had planned to do this, but it hasn't happened yet... and I haven't had the time.

Another thing is many of the problems are in the tu_* classes and structures, which aren't very clean... This code is all going away slowly as we migrate to using the libstdc++ versions instead of the custom ones.

And at last, please consider making regularly tarball releases.  One a
week would be great while progress is good, and less often when things
have stabilized.

Well, I hadn't planned on doing any till the plugin works. Now that it does, and I'm in the process of stabilizing it, I'll be hopefully making a tarball soon. I'm a big believer in keeping the source code accessible, but I guess I fail to see how a tarball snapshot is any better than just using CVS.

Speaking from experience, sometimes having too many tarballs, even if they're only CVS snapshots, can be a bit of a support issue. When people use CVS, it's so much easier for them to get the bug fixes they need efficiently. Every tarball becomes static version of Gnash that can generate support issues. I still get bogus bug reports on the one snapshot I did in December.

Just responding to the email takes time, even if all I have to do is suggest grabbing CVS or a newer snapshot. So I'm more into doing a snapshot release after major milestones are reached, or every month or so instead of every week.

If somebody else would like to volunteer to make weekly snapshots and help me keep up with the support email, I'd happily support this idea. Otherwise I'm trying to not bury myself in so many side-tasks that I have little time for finishing the plugin, and pushing out the first real release...