Re: [Gnash-dev] Update region detection?

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Update region detection?
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 11:10:03 +0200

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 08:47:36PM +0200, Udo Giacomozzi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does Gnash contain / is it planned that Gnash will detect the screen
> region (upper-left and lower-right coordinates) where characters did
> change visible?
>
> Currently Gnash seems to redraw each frame from ground up even if just
> a small portion of the screen did change and even if there was no
> change at all (ex. stopped movie).
>
> This would *really* speed up rendering.

I don't think there's any such support.
For 'visible' changes I think there's some transparent support
trough the different GUIS, but the 'stopped movie' handling (and
also backgrounds) I think is missing.

I've been thinking about this from the start, but I'm not really
a graphic person, so wouldn't know how to proceed.
My idea was to keep all layers in seperate "drawables" and overlay
them as needed. Probably the "caching" feature does something similar
anyway.