Re: [Gnash-dev] How does gnash generate the frames?

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] How does gnash generate the frames?
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 15:06:33 +0100

On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 04:55:18AM -0800, shamju joseph wrote:
> Hi
>    I've a question. Does gnash generate every frame
> independently or generate only the differences from
> the last frame (like VNC protocols) while playing?

There's currently an experimental "differential" rendering
algorithm that only renders the rectangle encloseing all
changes in the underlying display list. Some discussion
have been conducted toward possible improvements of this
algorithm by mean of using multiple smaller rectangles.

> What's the data rate of playing swf files? (I mean
> data rate for updating framebuffer)
> For example, Does a 320x240, 16bits per pixel, 15fps
> animation require a data rate of 17Mbits every second?
> (320x240 x 16 x 15 bits = 17Mbits approx)

Given the above algorithm, this can be much less.

> Please execuse me for asking these questions on
> gnash-dev mailing list.

It seems the appropriate mailing list for this kind
of questions to me.