Re: Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] Gnash extensions question

From: Martin Guy
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] Gnash extensions question
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:08:59 +0000

Flash developers actually *concerned* because of Gnash. They fear
having different players will make development more difficult. With a
single Flash player one can be sure that a movie works everywhere.

Right, so following that logic, the internet would be a better place
if there were only Internet Explorer (or NCSA Mosaic) and no other
browser had ever been written.

Anyway, you still need to test your movies on windows linux and mac
and their enormously expensive embedded players if you want to improve
the movie's visibility.
 A professional would test on various different old versions of flash
player as well, since I doubt that people running win3.1 *can* upgrade
to the latest flash player (yes, they do, all over the world), and we
remember the MacroMedia linux port lagging behind the latest whizzo
one by a version or two for ages and ages. Given the dodginess and
ever increasing resource-hungriness of most commercial program
upgrades, some people may not *want* to upgrade.

My own experience with many different browsers led me to use simpler,
faster HTML constructs that work absolutely everywhere as far as I
know; I welcome the stimulus to Flash developers to do the same.
In fact, having gnash available for your existing flash dev platform
makes it *more* likely that your flash movie will work on platforms
that you cannot test.