[Gnash-dev] Re: Vitaly's #ifdef WIN32 checkins from Nov 24th

From: John Gilmore
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Re: Vitaly's #ifdef WIN32 checkins from Nov 24th
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:36:40 -0800

>   >Is there somebody on the team who can teach Vitaly Alexeev how to make
> gnash code more modular when it doesn't compile on WIN32?
>
>   I think that John Gilmore the most important candidate for the teacher for
> me :-)

Thank you -- but I don't have the knowledge you need.  The last time
I maintained configure scripts was in about 1998, and they've gotten
more complicated since then.  But several people on the team have
recently been showing their competence at hacking gnash's own configure
scripts, and I hope they can help.

Meanwhile, here is what I suggest.  When you make a change that's for
WIN32 support, but you know it's a hack, don't check it in!  Keep it
as a private change in your own directories.  Check in all the clean
and portable improvements that you make to the code -- but don't check
in the messes.  If you want help with cleaning them up, post those
messy private patches to gnash-dev for discussion.  But don't
contaminate the shared repository with known-bad changes that other
people will have to go in and reverse.

Thank you for all your efforts on gnash.  Having been a GNU program
maintainer (for gdb) I know how valuable a prolific contributor is.
You'll be even more valuable when none of your changes need cleaning up
afterward :-).

        John