Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash extensions question

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash extensions question
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 15:46:43 +0100

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 02:20:24PM +0100, Udo Giacomozzi wrote:

> Flash _invites_ the developer to create sophisticated animations. No
> Flash developer has to think about "will it work on this or that
> player". He thinks "does the specification allow me to do...".

I think this is exactly where we should focus.
Currently, the only authoritative specification is the one published
by MM, with a debatable licensing and quality.
The HTML war served the needs of a standard specification, which
was taken over by the W3C. One of our goal should be providing
a *free* and *high quality* specification for Flash applications.
That should be aimed at becoming the de-facto standard for players.
Of course, extensions would be no problem if supported by the
specification, and Adobe will have to deal with it, and we'll be
waiting for them at the discussion table :)