Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] invalidated bounds redesign - advice needed

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] invalidated bounds redesign - advice needed
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 18:45:52 +0100

Hello strk,

>> Off the top of my head: partition the stage into N rectangles like a
>> coarse chessboard, and redraw a whole rectangle if anything in it
>> changes, then experiment with N to find a good value for simple and
>> for pathological cases.
>> Or something of that kind.

Uhm, I missed this message :(

Anyway, I'm not very happy with it because it would result in very
coarse results and/or probably even worse CPU usage.

Reasons:

  - detecting the correct rectangles and re-computing (mergin) valid
    rectangles in the final step won't be faster than dealing with the
    original rect instances.

  - when the rectangles are too coarse this might invoke useless
    drawing of perhabs very complex nearby characters.

s> This seems the best solution to me.
s> It could also easly work with integers.

I prefer strk's class design, I have no problem implementing it...

Udo