RE: [Gnash-dev] Gnash: streaming from VLC server

From: Klaas-Pieter Vlieg
Subject: RE: [Gnash-dev] Gnash: streaming from VLC server
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:18:03 +0100

Hi Tomas

> We've chosen not to use ffmpeg network code, since it doesn't
> cache the file being played, which is needed when seeking (as
> when using youtube). Right now the code is aimed at playing
> non-streams such as youtube etc., since that's what most
> users will want.

Aha, well the nice thing about VLC server is that it supports seeking. By using
libcurl you can just send it a the seek position. So if that was the only
reason for not using ffmpeg network code you may want to reconsider :)

Btw, current version of ffmpeg also supports http_seeking. So one more reason
to reconsider.

If I see it correctly, currently gnash only supports progressive download type
of streaming. Real streaming via http or rtsp would be a new feature.

Cheers
Klaas-Pieter Vlieg