Re: [Gnash-dev] release criteria? Internationalization

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] release criteria? Internationalization
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 09:42:04 -0600

John Gilmore wrote:

> I would move internationalization to the "optional" pile.  Some of it
> will be in the release, but I wouldn't make it a criterion for holding
> up the release.  The main reason to get internationalization into this

  Ok, this makes sense. We'll get the basic infrastructure in place, and
most of the translations that get included will be of the "working
example" type.

> We *want* those warnings to change and augment all the time.  So don't
> concern yourself at all with "making more work for translators"; just
> improve the code to be the best you know how.

  I guess the main issue is when would translators know a string message
has changed ? I guess it's possible if they read the gnash-commit list.

> There's a pretty good manual written about the whole internationalization
> and localization process here, from overview to gritty details:
>
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html.gz

  We should add this to the reference section on the Gnash wiki. (now
living at http://gnashdev.org)

> want to add ActionScript facilities that enable flash developers to
> easily internationalize their movies.  (If Adobe hasn't done so, we
> may end up ahead of them -- then they can play catch-up.)  But this
> year we aren't doing ANY of that.

  Actually Adobe handles this by having zero output except for the rare
error dialog box. A Flash movie is in a native font (Gnash unfortunately
only supports fonts exported into the movie) and native language. But it
might be an interesting feature to allow a Flash movie to specify it's
language. Maybe a Gettext extension for Gnash...