Re: [Gnash-dev] release criteria ?

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] release criteria ?
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 12:47:08 +0200

On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 11:33:47AM -0600, Rob Savoye wrote:
> Now that streaming video for a few popular sites works, we need to
> establish what will be in the next release of Gnash. Ideally we can push
> the next release out within the next month or so.
>
> My short list for the release is:
>
> 1. Stabilize the video support so it works with Lulu.tv, youtube.com,
> and myspace.

YouTube and lulu.tv are working pretty well now, I think we should add
some automated testcases for video to stabilize, and we have some performance
issues we might postpone to after the release.
I didn't test myspace.
Also, it might be worth adding a table on the wiki about which configurations
have been tested, which work and which not.

> 2. Fix the problem with the loader threads not going away when using the
> plugin, which creates zombies.

Is this fixed ? Do we have a bug item for this ?

> 3. Finish fixing the XML and XMLSocket classes.

All my tests succeed, do you have more failure cases ?
We must finish up the dox, is asspec/ dir the place to
document ?

> 4. Fix any nasty memory leaks.
> 5. Fix some of the performance problems with certain movies, like
> paperwars.swf which eats up all the memory when it shouldn't be.

It's likely 4 and 5 belong to the same issue: GC.
I'd make this for next release, not the upcoming one.

> 6. Update documentation for new features.

Our documentation needs some love, if Ann can point us to
the places that need update that would be great.

> 7. Get video working with AGG, fix invalidate regions bug with video.

The "bug" is basically behaving like the whole display area has been invalidated
which triggers full redraw. To properly implement invalidated regions we
must cleanup the video_character_instance class.
Question (for tgc): is video_character_def used by both embedded video and
dynamically loaded FLV ? Can we trust the m_width and m_height of
video_character_def ?

> 8. Finish internationalization support.

I think this is done for now, right ?

> Optional items are:
>
> 1. Finish the Cairo support.

Anyone working on this ?

> 2. Finish the Gstreamer support so ffmpeg isn't required.

I confirm gst-0.10 (packaged in Ubuntu dapper) works fine.
Still needs ffmpeg plugin though..

> 3. Work on the debugger support.

I'd postpone to after the release.

> 4. Add info to the Flash specification that's now a separate document.

This would be important at least to stub, IMO.