Re: [Gnash-dev] FSF copyright notices slightly off

From: Bastiaan Jacques
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] FSF copyright notices slightly off
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 12:52:56 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 29 May 2007, ann wrote:

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Martin Guy wrote:

2007/5/28, John Gilmore <address@hidden>:
I've noticed two files recently checked in, which have slightly off
FSF copyright/license notices.

Some parts have no GNU boilerplate at all. Check out libbase/*
Ann, can you sort these out? :D

Bastiaan told me that some of the files had been imported from another
project, and therefore shouldn't have the GNU license added to them.
These need to be identified first, probably by the people who added them.

I guess we can divide the codebase into these categories:
1) Files that we wrote.
2) Files that we imported from GameSWF and made no major changes to.
   e.g. libbase/demo.h
3) Files that we imported from GameSWF and made major changes to.
   e.g. libbase/tu_types.h
4) Files that we imported from other projects and made no major changes to.
   e.g. gui/gtk_cairo_create.h

It should be obvious that files under 1) should have the same GPL license
header. Files under 2) should just mention that they are in the public
domain. Files under 3) should have their license headers changed to GPL and
copyright should be assigned to the FSF. Files under 4) should have their
own license header which will probably be different from files under 1).

Right now, I believe that most files from GameSWF do mention that they are
in the public domain. However, I think we have not actively been changing
files under 3) to GPL headers. I am not aware of any files that aren't
properly commented under 4).

Bastiaan