Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] Performance drop

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] Performance drop
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 11:23:01 +0200

Hello Martin,

>> http://martinwguy.co.uk/lulu/speed
MG> http://martinwguy.co.uk/martin/lulu/speed

Both exist :)

Anyway, thanks for doing all those tests!

>Frames per second from agg-gtk -v profiler.swf, first 10 tests on a 1700MHz P4

The problem with this fast CPU is that it becomes hard to profile. The
CPU is so fast that the movie reaches it's nominal frame rate of 120
frames per second. More than 120 fps can't be configured unless we
tweak Gnash to run as fast as possible (w/o caring about framerate).

I did my tests using the FB GUI on a 800 MHz Geode. I'd say that any
reported frame rate above 100 fps should be treat with care.

Sandro proposed to use a "real profiler". Unfortunately I have no
experience with them and I think that, just like gdb, it makes it more
complicate to do some overall speed tests. Probably it's more useful
once we know what version is slower.

>cvs20070509
>Doesn't run profiler.swf (shows yellow circle with border and pauses forever
>using 0 cpu)

Huh!? It runs fine here. Did you try to run it again?

>cvs20070516
>Doesn't run profiler.swf

What happens?

>cvs20070528
>122     89      104     58      107     120     123     101     89      103
>122     91      109     93      102     123     124     100     88      97
>123     91      109     85      91      111     123     91      66      75

Are these three test runs of the same Gnash version? Test 10 shows
very different values.. Sure nothing else on your system took much CPU
time? Sure the window has always remained fully visible?

>Running 20070509 on the frame buffer reveals no change in speed since 9th May:

Very strange. I'm doing a fresh checkout in a new dir right now to
avoid any mistakes on my part.

However, 90 fps on a 1.7 GHz machine is very slow. I guess your system
simply can't measure more precisely.

Add a
  break;
in fb.cpp line 347 (right after the while). This will make Gnash take
as much CPU as it can and allow frame rates far above 120 fps
(theoretically).

Test 1 goes up to 1400 fps on my Geode after doing this patch.

Udo