Re: [Gnash-dev] Actionscript version

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Actionscript version
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 06:25:28 +0200

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 05:53:01PM -0600, Melissa Goldin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Am I correct in my understanding that Gnash is implementing
> Actionscript version 2, not version 3?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer:
ActionScript is a language, Gnash doesn't implement support for
the language itself. ActionScript code is converted to a bytecode,
and Gnash implements support for interpreting that bytecode.

ActionScript versions 1 and 2 both used the same bytecode, while
ActionScript 3 uses a different bytecode format, known as the ABC
format (for Actionscript Byte Code). There was no special name for
the previous bytecodes as far as I know, it was just part of the SWF
specification.

I haven't done any research myself about the possibility to compile
ActionScript3 syntax into the good old well-known anonymous bytecode,
anyway that's not what common non-hacked compilers do.