Re: [Gnash-dev] inclusion of ffmpeg patch into Gnash 0.8.2 ?

From: Bastiaan Jacques
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] inclusion of ffmpeg patch into Gnash 0.8.2 ?
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 20:12:33 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Markus Gothe wrote:

No, I'm not aware of that...

So why are you claiming that an OS X port "needs" ffmpeg? I'm sure you
must have better things to do than spreading FUD.

I thought gstreamer and gnome was tainted
to each other (and yes there is a gnome port to OS X but not native).

Incorrect, Gstreamer depends on glib2, which in turn depends only on the
availability of a C library.

However I refuse to install it :), and as Hong Yu pointed out(?):
ffmpeg is better for embedded-integration, like the iPhone. And those
OSes that hasn't got gst-support yet.

I'm sure there are circumstances in which ffmpeg is preferable to
Gstreamer. But there are very few, and OS X is not one of them; this is
not negated by your refusal to install it.

Bastiaan