[Gnash-dev] Re: Install locations for gnash plugins

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Re: Install locations for gnash plugins
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 15:49:34 -0600

John Gilmore wrote:
> Here's a new attempt to hack at this Gordian knot.

  Di you catch the thread on gnash-commit yesterday about this ?

> If there's NO WAY at runtime to configure kde to use plugins stored
> /usr/local/lib or a similar location, then that's a bug in kde.  If
> there is such a way, then let's document it, install under /usr/local,
> and be done.

  It's a limitation of KDE that we're stuck with. We can probable find
an environment variable that can be used to add more search patch, but
that's not such a good solution either.

> If there's NO WAY at runtime to configure Firefox to use plugins
> stored under /usr/local, then that's a bug in Firefox.  If there IS
> such a way, then let's document it, install under /usr/local, and be
> done.

  Both Konqueror and Mozilla/Firefox expect their plugins in their own
tree of directories, and give the user two choices. Install system-wide,
or install in ones home directory. I think that regardless of --prefix,
we should do what Gnash does now, install in $HOME/.mozilla/plugins or
$HOME/.kde/*. We've had a problem with having to install plugins in
system directories for quite a while, but now that installing them in
the users home directory works, I think that's the proper behavior.

> (We can also ADD automation, like the nonstandard target
> "install-plugins", that would do additional helpful things.  I'd
> probably rename it to "install-homedir-plugins" to make it clear *where*
> it is installing these plugins.)

  Actually, I'd like to get rid of install-plugins, and make it part of
install. The only reason the other target was created was because of the
permissions problems with kde trying to write to a system directory.
That's no longer an issue.