[Gnash-dev] Re: Install locations for gnash plugins

From: John Gilmore
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Re: Install locations for gnash plugins
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 20:26:20 -0800

> > If there's NO WAY at runtime to configure kde to use plugins stored
> > /usr/local/lib or a similar location, then that's a bug in kde.  If
> > there is such a way, then let's document it, install under /usr/local,
> > and be done.
>
>   It's a limitation of KDE that we're stuck with. We can probable find
> an environment variable that can be used to add more search patch, but
> that's not such a good solution either.
>
> > If there's NO WAY at runtime to configure Firefox to use plugins
> > stored under /usr/local, then that's a bug in Firefox.  If there IS
> > such a way, then let's document it, install under /usr/local, and be
> > done.
>
>   Both Konqueror and Mozilla/Firefox expect their plugins in their own
> tree of directories, and give the user two choices.

Can you file a bug in KDE's bugzilla, and in Mozilla's bugzilla, about
the lack of a user-settable path for finding plugins?  I'd do it, but I
don't have the details they'll need.

I definitely don't think that a default "make install" on a GNU
program should be installing things into $HOME!  But I don't immediately
see anything in the GNU Coding Standards that prohibits it.  Maybe
there's a forum for maintainers (or software packagers) where we
could ask around for ideas?

        John