[Gnash-dev] Re: BZR usage for savannah

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Re: BZR usage for savannah
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 09:07:41 -0600

A repost... Yesterday we all stopped using CVS for a bit, and migrated the entire repository, fully up to date, to bzr on savannah. I'm now checking out everything to make sure, but it looks fine so far. As some operations over the next can be slow, it's considered a good thing to use a local repository for many checkins, and then "push" changes up to savannah's shared repository when satisfied.

To make a local repository, make a directory, cd into it and type:

bzr init-repo .

Then after that do a checkout to populate the local repository. To use a local repository, just replace the hostname from bzr.savannah.gnu.org, to where ever it lives on your hard disk.

As one of the big reasons for switching from cvs was to gain an ability to do cheap branches, I encourage developers to make a branch for all changes, and only merge it into trunk (was cvs head) when it's ready for wider distribution. This should solve the problem of people stepping on one another by accident. The web interface is still being worked on.

-------------
Well, it appears to be alive, although the web browsing interface is
still being worked on. It should work with these commands. Replace USER
with your own savannah login used for CVS access.

To grab CVS HEAD:
bzr co bzr+ssh://address@hidden/gnash/trunk

To make a branch from HEAD for new work:
bzr branch bzr+ssh://address@hidden/gnash rtmp

Then there are the usual checkout, diff, log, commit, etc... messages.
We should play with this repository and make sure we can all access it
before switching over.

On #gnash lifeless & abently, bzr developers, are hanging out to help
with any questions or problems.