[Gnash-dev] KDE4 support (was: problem when installing gnash)

From: strk
Subject: [Gnash-dev] KDE4 support (was: problem when installing gnash)
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 12:16:11 +0200

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 02:28:57PM +0200, Benjamin Wolsey wrote:
> I've just uploaded a KDE4/Qt4 branch of Gnash to here:
>
> http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/gnash/kde4
>
> It's work in progress and lacks the autoconf support to build
> automatically. Also, there is a temporary ugly hack to fix
> initialization while we decide how to handle argc and argv, no keyboard
> modifier support, and all key events are sent as upper-case letters. The
> plugin doesn't work. On the plus side, there are already better menus,
> and implementing more features is simple.
>
> Qt4 with kde3 won't work in trunk and I don't know if it's ever likely
> to. The kde.m4 and qt.m4 macros can't handle combinations of different
> versions.
>
> Use --enable-gui=kde4 to try, but you'll need to pass the necessary CXX
> and linker flags manually.
>
> Patches to improve performance (which is considerably worse than gtk at
> the moment), improve configure, or fix bugs are very welcome. I'm not
> going to work on it until after the release.

It seems next ubuntu release (intrepid) will ship with KDE4 only.
About Gnash I have some questions:

        - What depends on KDE ? kde-gnash or only klash ?
        - If only klash, should we raname kde-gnash to qt-gnash ?
        - Do we want to allow building both qt3-gnash and qt4-gnash
          in a build tree or should it always be qt-gnash and depend
          on what's available on system ?