Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: Gnash + OLPC

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: Gnash + OLPC
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 23:40:42 +0200

> OLPC support has not gotten high priority from the gnash team, and I
> wonder why not.  Whose bugs and feature requests should get higher
> priority?

I'd be very pleased to get bug reports from OLPC users, or more
helpfully from OLPC flash coders. I don't think any bug reports have
ever been ignored.

But how quickly bugs get attention depends a lot on their usefulness.
Often (such as the three flash games that aren't working and are now on
the bug tracker), they are large, version 7 or 8 movies. Sometimes
they're deliberately obfuscated (one of those games is). Decompiling and
debugging files like that -- we don't have the source code, of course --
takes days without any guarantee of success. So they're dealt with when
someone has time, or when another bugfix makes the problem clearer.

We have plenty of reports about flash websites and pages that don't
work. I don't think a request from an OLPC user is any more important,
more helpful, or indeed any different (just look at the sites they test
it with) from other users' requests.

It's usually far more productive to fix things systematically, to work
with flash coders to work things out, or to stumble across a SWF that
has obvious problems, identifying a bug in Gnash.

That's what we need to get across to users and Flash coders. If we get
what we need to fix bugs, everyone, OLPC or not, will get fixed bugs.
I'll support any efforts in that direction.

> But if you find yourself complaining that nobody's running
> the cvs/git/bzr/whatever trunk version of gnash, it's time to bend your
> efforts toward cutting a release.

They're fairly bent at the moment.

> At the moment, the snapshots don't
> even build on most platforms.

Which snapshots on which platform? bzr trunk should *always* build on
every platform. Even GNU/Hurd. If it doesn't, it's a bug. We need bug
reports.

bwy