Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash packages for Fedora / OLPC

From: Russ Nelson
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash packages for Fedora / OLPC
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 00:48:15 -0400

John Gilmore writes:
 > I don't see any packages in getgnash.org (still!)

Whinging doesn't help me to build them.  "make deb" doesn't work.
"make rpm" doesn't work either.  I'm trying to get them both to work.
It takes time, because a lot of specialized knowledge is needed to
make them work.  They use a lot of automation which is specific and
special to their distro's build system.  In their world, it's easy to
port another package to their distro because they already know their
tools.

I'm starting to think, though, that we would do better to let the
distributions make their own packages, since 1) they're already the
experts at doing it, 2) for the most part they do it anyway, and 3)
when they do, they ignore our pitiful attempts to do "their thing" and
just do it their own way, rendering our work redundant.

I think we would do better to build XPI packages, which install
through Firefox.

 > (I'm trying a rebuilt for fc6, which is the Fedora I'm running.
 > "rpmbuild --rebuild gnash-0.8.4-3.fc9.src.rpm" is currently
 > complaining that I don't have kde-filesystem, kdelibs3-devel,
 > kdelibs4-devel, and /usr/bin/docbook2pdf.  But when I say "yum install
 > kdelibs3-devel kde-filesystem kdelibs4-devel" it spends minutes on
 > crap and then says "Nothing to do".  Maybe yum is just inscrutable or
 > useless.)

Welcome to my world.  I'm serving pancakes today.  Would you like
maple syrup?  You'll be here a while -- you may as well get a good
meal in you.

--
--my blog is at    http://blog.russnelson.com   | Unregulation is a slippery
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | slope to prosperity and