[Gnash-dev] Video problem with youtube HD?

From: John Gilmore
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Video problem with youtube HD?
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 23:19:24 -0700

I'm running gnash 0.8.5 as shipped with Ubuntu Jaunty.  When I go here:

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oawX3wenxNc&feature=related

gnash has no trouble displaying the video.  But if I click the "HD"
button, switching it to stream the same movie in higher definition,
then after some initial hesitation it gets going, I get full audio,
but no video.  Just a black window with the controls around it.

However, if I then examine the saved HD file on the hard drive, "file"
says it's "ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, version 2", and it plays fine
with "totem".  Totem's sidebar claims that the video is 1280 x 720,
H.264 / AVC at 30 frames per second.  Looks great!

At first when I encountered this "blank display in gnash" issue, I
thought I had a codec problem.  But the codec to play this format is
found without trouble by totem -- but not by gnash.  Perhaps someone
can reproduce this and figure out why it doesn't work in gnash (or
perhaps it's already fixed in the trunk version; I haven't installed
that yet, am hoping to soon see nightly deb's to install from).

        John