Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] Video streaming: manually specify codec

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] Video streaming: manually specify codec
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 18:55:07 +0200

Hello strk,

Sunday, June 28, 2009, 10:34:45 AM, you wrote:
>> Unfortunately I could not find the relevant source code part where the
>> videoCodecType is choosen..

s> I guess you're loading using NetStream.
s> The place you're looking for is:
s>  MediaHandler::createMediaParser(std::auto_ptr<IOChannel> stream)

I managed it by hacking MediaParserFfmpeg::probeStream():

  return av_find_input_format("mjpeg");

That works well, but of course the codec is hardcoded that way.

Flash does not define any way (in AS) to manually define the codec to
be used for external files AFAIK. It would be great if we could add a
special feature to Gnash to support any codec we want.

IMHO there are two possibilities:

 - we add a special property to the NetStream class so that the codec
   auto-detection is being disabled and the codec name is choosen
   manually

 or

 - the codec is specified via the URL, by using the hash separator,
   like:
      http://www.example.com/video/stream.bin?some=param#mjpeg

The av_find_input_format() function is very handy and we could use the
codec names that this function uses, but I wonder if these are
compatible with Gstreamer.

Also, the codec name must be passed from NetStreamer to
MediaParserXXXX somehow but there is already a "codeci" property for
FLV codecs, so this might be confusing (Gnash sourcecode).

What do you think?

Udo