Re: [Gnash-dev] cairo instead of agg for fb?

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] cairo instead of agg for fb?
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 09:32:38 +0200

Hello Leon,

LW> what is needed to support cairo (with it's image surface) for the
LW> framebuffer UI?

LW> Currently only agg is supported. Cairo / pixman recently got good ARM
LW> NEON optimizations that are worth exploring.

I wrote the AGG and FB part of Gnash, but don't know much about Cairo.
However, as long as Cairo can provide a linear buffer that can be
copied directly to graphics memory, it should not be a big deal. There
are various pixel formats and -depths around, so Cairo must support
all of these directly - otherwise you will loose a lot of performance
just for converting pixels.

The ARM NEON feature sounds very interesting. AGG (the library itself,
not the Gnash GUI) could certainly be optimized to use these features,
so maybe you might invest some time there...

Udo