Re: [Gnash-dev] oprofile difficulties, easy access to debuginfo, and oth

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] oprofile difficulties, easy access to debuginfo, and other thoughts
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 16:13:04 -0600

On 10/14/09 14:40, Bernie Innocenti wrote:

It's amazingly simple these days: just install the oprofile-gui rpm and
then run "sudo oprof_start". Of course you also need to install the
kernel-debuginfo and gnash-debuginfo. You probably also want
glib-debuginfo and gtk-debuginfo.

Can I do this my own builds of Gnash or do I need to install packages ? I guess I could install the rpms I just built, it's just more hassle. On my Fedora 11 machine, the oprofile_gui came right up, but on the XO I keep getting too many "need to specify events" errors.

  Memset() is often used to set a newly allocated buffer to zeros
to make debugging easier, but can also be a performance hog.

How do we turn off this behavior?  By defining NDEBUG?

Unfortunately not, but I should consider adding it in the critical places. Once I get oprofile going, I'll see about doing that.

I think I got the debug symbols all right even from the Fedora rpm. The
problem was just with oprofile... as if gnash did something that would
break oprofile. Something like multi-threading, perhaps?

Gnash is a multi-threaded application, does that cause oprofile problems ? I'm more used to gprof, unfortunately.

I think they're standard. Most of the ugly customizations that OLPC did
are finally gone.

Whew. :-) I did get my builds working with the default Gstreamer on the XO.